Tuesday, February 22, 2011

...reading a dictionary...

Okay, so I'm a nerd and proud of it.  I unabashedly claim my nerdiness to my students, and encourage them to embrace who they are as well.

Tonight my nerdiness is being rivaled....

My roommates and I are just sitting around, talking, watching Rocky, laughing, emailing, reading, etc.

I picked up my book, thinking I might actually be able to read a few pages.  From the couch across the room I hear, ooohh!


I looked over...in astonishment, I exclaim: Are you reading the DICTIONARY???


Uhhhh...yes, I am!


No way!  No one actually reads the dictionary!  Sometimes I tell my students I do, just because I know they will believe me, but no one actually reads it!


Other roommate: She does this all the time.




Here are some things I have been hearing since I picked up my computer:

A heifer is a young cow.  Other roommate chips in: usually a female.


Fussbudget means one who fuss or is fussy about trials.


Did you know a flock of geese is called a gaggle?


Other roommate: Do you know what a flock of crows is called?  
Me: a craggle, obviously.
No, a murder.


Well, she is still flipping through the pages of her Miriam Webster Pocket Dictionary, but hasn't been sharing for awhile.  Maybe she is in the X's....

1 comment: