Friday, February 25, 2011

...proximity...

One age-old trick teachers have in addressing poor behavior is proximity.  When a student is not making wise choices when it comes to behavior, often simply getting closer to them will help them to clean up their act.

I certainly use this technique on a consistent basis.  I think some students practically expect me to teach while standing next to their desks.

Today I was applying the proximity principle with one particular student.

At one point he said he wanted to see my ring while I was standing next to his desk.  So, as I continued leading the discussion/notes, I lifted my hand so he could see the ring and what is written on it.  As I was talking, he proceeded to try to take the ring off of my finger.  Of course I didn't want him to take it off, so I simply bent my finger to make that a challenge.  He proceeded to use both hands in attempt to pry my hand open....mind you, I am still teaching.  Eventually he gave up, saying, You got a MAN grip Miss O'Brien!


I just looked at him, nodded, took my hand back, and continued with the conversation how how to revise a paper.

Then he started flicking my scarf.  That's right, he was flicking it.  But it didn't really distract me, I kept going.  At one point he asked, Why is one side longer than the other?  So, in order to appease him, I adjusted my scarf so that both sides were hanging at equal lengths.  There is fringe at the ends of the scraf I am wearing today.  The student grabbed the scarf and put the fringe in his face.  Surely he was trying to see how it would distort the image of his friend across the room.

This student seemed to really be longing for my attention today.  Soon he began to "hit" my elbow repeatedly.  You know, kind of like swinging his arm to casually flip it with his finger.  I tried to keep going...but the other students' faces told me that they didn't know how I could keep going with this happening.

I don't know....I guess this must be what a mom feels like when her child is pulling on her shirt, grabbing her legs, and repeating her name over and over while she is in a deep conversation with a friend.  The mom can just continue on without a problem until the child is appearing to distract her friend from what is being discussed.

I walked away from his desk for a little while.

1 comment: