Monday, February 21, 2011

...what I mean is...

Tonight was definitely a time to laugh.

A little back story, without getting into the details too much:  I am helping a university student with his school fees in Uganda.  He has become like a little brother to me.  A friend of mine (who will soon be traveling to Uganda) has agreed to deliver a computer to him for me.

Tonight my roommates accompanied me to Wal-Mart in order to buy a computer bag for my little Ugandan brother.  In this particular Wal-Mart, there seemed to be a lack of organization in the electronic department.  The three of us had separated as we looked around.  Melissa decided to find an associate and ask him where to look.  Just about the same time he was pointing her towards a few options, I had spotted them and was on my way there too.

As I'm looking through the various black options, the associate comes back with a pastel purple bag with butterflies and swirly pink & purple designs.  Right then, Megan approaches the action while I say, Well, I'm looking for a man.


Everyone else realizes what I have just said before I do.

Apparently "the man" that is helping us reacts as if to see if he qualifies, signaling that he does, however, have a few gray hairs.  Maybe he was trying to see if I thought he was too old for me.

As I realize what I have just implied, I tried to recover.  Well, I mean, I'm not looking for a man.  Errr, I, uhh, I need a bag for a man...


The man was still showing me the purple bag that my six-year old niece would probably love.

What I mean is.....I don't want the purple one.  Well, he wouldn't want the purple one.  I mean, this one is good.  (I was holding a nice black one.)

The rejected man walked away.



So, when funny things like this happen, we tend to keep repeating it, as if we weren't all there for the original event.  Somehow, it keeps getting funnier with every retelling and variation we create...

We went to get ice cream.  As we waited for our ice cream creations to get mixed (which they didn't actually mix), we continued to crack ourselves up about how I said I was looking for a man.  After a few minutes, we giggled away, walking out with ice cream to enjoy as we drove through an icy night.

But as we turned to leave, we noticed a man in a booth by himself laughing at us, and giving us a creepy sort of smile.  He had clearly been listening to us joking....

Maybe he was hoping he might be the kind of man I was looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment