Friday, December 31, 2010

...a time to reflect...

Today I will put aside my typical humorous tales, and take a more serious approach.

It is New Year's Eve.  2010 is coming to an end, and we are about to embark upon 2011.  I am not one for resolutions or any such traditions.  (I think it is because I really don't see a point in making a big deal out of "resolving" to make some major change in my actions, habits, lifestyle, etc. that I know don't have a good chance of making it out of January.)

Even so, today...this week really...has me thinking about all that has transpired in 2010 and what is yet to come in 2011.  So, I have put together a list of events that occurred over the past 12 months that have had a significant impact on me and who God is shaping me to be.  I am sure I am forgetting some things (though I did do a quick survey of my iCal, which helped the list to grow).  There is so much I could say about each one of these items, but I am going to attempt to keep it simple.  (Don't be too surprised if it turns out to be long...By now you've probably detected that I usually struggle to keep things very short.)  After reflecting on what has happened in 2010, I began looking ahead to 2011.  As a result, I also have a brief list of my anticipations for what this year will bring.  Of course, despite any planning I may do, I really do not have any idea what God has in store for me (James 4).  Yet, I am entering the new year with faith that it will be filled with times of growth, excitement, and oh so much more (hopefully some more times to laugh for you to enjoy).

WHAT HAPPENED IN 2010?
>God opened the eyes and minds of the people in my church to orphan care (largely in response to the earthquake that hit Haiti).
>I helped put together Homeless Care Kits with Here's Life Inner City.
>Our churched helped pack thousands of meals (I forget how many) that were sent to Haiti through Kids Around The World.
>I volunteered at Feed My Starving Children for the first time.
>I joined a newly established team at church to focus on short-term and local missions.  We want to encourage and provide opportunities for our people to serve Christ, by serving others, outside of the church walls.
>I went to The Summit VI, Christian Alliance for Orphans to learn more about orphan care.
>I helped put together a church-wide garage sale to help raise funds for the short-term mission trips & saw God bless our efforts greatly.  (Keep an eye out for another one over Memorial Day Weekend.)
>We got a new roommate (welcome to the Oasis Melissa).
>I transitioned out of Student Ministry after 7 years.
>I began developing an Orphan Care Ministry at church (still a long way to go with this...)

>I taught Algebra I Credit Recovery for summer school & saw the students improve their skills.
>I went to Uganda for 5 weeks with Juna Amagara Ministries....Oh what to say about that...
-->I met many people who I now consider my family.
-->I began developing an unexpected love for the people and country of Uganda.
-->I was able to experience a little bit of life with our missionaries Matt & Crystal Kehn.
JJ & I
-->I began supporting a young man, John Jude, through university.  (That's right, I'm putting a "kid" through college.  But I consider him my brother...)
Me & Rauben
-->I am helping another young man, Rauben, finish high school.
>I started my fifth year of teaching at my school (earning the controversial tenure).
>I started blogging.
>I was asked to share about Uganda and other volunteer experiences in a Peer Leadership class in my school.
>I attended a wedding for a young woman who I mentored when she was in high school (and still enjoy meeting with when we can).
>I was a bridesmaid in my (former) roommate's wedding--this was bridesmaid experience #7!
>Village Bible Church had our first Orphan Sunday.
>I endured what may have been the most difficult semester I have had as a teacher.
>I have begun planning my return trip to Uganda.

HOPES & PRAYERS FOR 2011
>See all of the Juna Amagara students, whose pictures/information we brought home last summer, sponsored.  (Contact me if you want more information on this, or check out the link to Juna Amagara above!)
>Be a consistent example of Christ's character at school/work.
>See God develop the Orphan Care Ministry (families taking steps towards adoption, developing practical ways to come along side individuals and families as they care for orphans, etc.).
>See God raise up teams of people for each short-term mission trip (Alaska, China, Uganda, Liberia) & provide all that is needed for those experiences.
>Finish a school year before June!
>Return to Uganda to be used by God with JAM.  I look forward to being reunited with my new family there.  I hope to faithfully follow God's guidance in regard to Uganda's role in my future.
>?????

(I wanted to include more pictures, but this site told me I couldn't.  Sorry!)

1 comment: