Thursday, January 6, 2011

...students are funny...

SOME AMUSEMENTS FROM THE FIRST DAYS BACK WITH STUDENTS:

Student:  If that was on Facebook, I would like it!

Two young men were in my room after school talking, but I wasn't really listening to their conversation.  Then I heard, You have to be 18 to be black.
Turns out they were talking about Martial Arts.

First hour, in the middle of class a student says, Miss O’Brien, I got you a Christmas present!
Me:  Yes!
Student: I didn’t wrap it…And I used it.  Do you still want it?
Me:  Of course!
A couple class periods later, I am standing by my door in the hallway & I saw him walking towards me.  He hands me a mug.  It says Dance, Love, Sing.  I can’t tell if it’s a joke or serious.  (I'm pretty sure it was sincere.)  I don’t know why he would give me something that encourages me to dance…He clearly doesn’t know about my lack of skill.  But I like it, and it fits well in my hand (I’m kind of a mug snob).





As the semester changes, some students' schedules change a little bit too.  One student was moved out of my class and into a section taught by another teacher.  So, when I see him in the hallway I usually ask him questions about how he's doing with the switch, if he needs tissues from all the crying, things like that.  At one point today he came into my classroom and said, Oh!  I miss the smell of your room!  I just need to smell it...He proceeded to smell the wall.  That's right; he smelled my wall.  Weird.


45 minutes into class a student says, Dude!  I'm the only black guy in this class!

One more....After school today I was asked to be a substitute cheerleading coach for their practice.  (Those of you who know me, don't get too excited, it was a one time deal.  The girls were surprised too.)  Since I wasn't in my room after school like usual, some students didn't quite know what to do with themselves.  One asked if he could join me in the cafeteria while I supervised the cheer practice.  At one point he had a roll of duct tape and was sticking tape to his face.  (Freshmen--sometimes there really is no explanation for their behavior.)  After taking it off of his upper lip he said, Look at my hair on this!  And I just shaved last week!

Oh, and don’t worry about me…I have a remote for my projector now.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! Freshmen...there really IS no explanation for their behavior!!! I think it's just to make us laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're my favorite teacher.

    ReplyDelete