Thursday, January 6, 2011

...joy in the return...

Coming back to work/school after Christmas break (yeah, I still call it that even though the schools don't) is rarely something that teachers, nor students, look forward to.  I had been spoiled with the ability to stay up late, sleep in, work-out, watch sermons online, chat on Facebook, go out for coffee (aka tea) or meals with various people, read several books, and more.  I wasn't really excited to return to work.  (This is where all of you who have jobs that do not involve the school system can say something like Welcome to the reality of the rest of us who don't get to take all of that time off.)

In the midst of my reluctance, however, I have enjoyed several moments of amusement.

A FEW TIDBITS FROM OUR DAY OF MEETINGS:

Our first meeting started out with an activity in which our groups had to answer true/false questions on the topic of homework.  Before beginning, these questions were referred to as ponderous questions.  Not having heard anyone use the term ponderous before, I questioned whether it is indeed a word.  So, knowing I would be unable to concentrate with this burning question in my mind, I grabbed my laptop and immediately opened my Dashboard and took advantage of the dictionary widget.  This is what I found:  ponderous--slow and clumsy because of great weight.  I immediately shared this definition with another teacher in the group next to me who was also questioning this word choice.  We got a good chuckle out of it....I think maybe you had to be there...

Before beginning the true/false activity, this same teacher said One cough for true, two coughs for false.  I readily agreed to this plan...for the benefit of both of our groups of course.  So, after each question was revealed, one of us would cough accordingly and the other would respond with their cough(s).  Before answering the last question, which was clearly true, I heard cough cough.  I looked over, surprised, & the response was a startled Oh no!  That was real!  Take it back, take it back!  Cough. (changed to defeated tone) I never was good at cheating.

A couple more amusing quotes from the day:  
That was like a 70's acid flash back!
We are running a little bit of late.
Could you explain to me what Guided Reading Notes are, is?

I came back to my classroom from the meetings to find something very exciting for a nerdy teacher like me...My projector had been mounted to my ceiling!  I was so excited that I ran, errr, walked quickly, across the hall to share the exciting news.  When I returned I noticed a couple of things.  1) I did not have a remote, so I could not use my projector, considering my lack of height.  2) I used to have my projector and document camera on a cart in the front of the room (also home to the laptop for the sake of projection).  Well, that is no longer necessary with the projector suspended from the ceiling and cords run to my desk.  However, I currently have a cord hanging from the ceiling in the front of my room with absolutely no purpose.  I guess it's the thought that counts.





No comments:

Post a Comment