Friday, September 23, 2011

...plc meetings...

PLC = Professional Learning Community

At my school, the staff work in PLCs.  This is similar to the idea of departments...but upgraded.

We meet with our PLCs regularly.

Somehow I have ended up in a PLC with all other members being male.  Well, except for our administrative representative.

So, as the token female, I take notes during meetings.  Don't worry, I volunteered for the job.  Let's face it, I would do the best job.

Now, seriously, who ever reads the minutes from meetings?  Why would they?  Well, I have transformed this stereotype.  Just as departments have been upgraded to PLCs, our meeting minutes have been upgraded as well.

Can you really expect a group of grown men who spend their day working with teenagers to be all business?  No.  No you can't.  Though we do get plenty of work done, we also really have a good time together.  Meetings are never dull...So why should the minutes be dull?  Well, they aren't.  I am transforming our notes by including the most hilarious aspects of the meetings.  Random comments and strange behaviors are found in the notes on a regular basis...Right there along side the rest of the official business, just as they occur.

I have always emailed each PLC member the notes immediately after the meetings.  In the past only one of the members read them.  Last year he discovered that these were no ordinary notes.  Word spread.

These are some things that have happened since:

>Certain PLC members strategically try to find a seat next to me so they get a preview of what they will get to read later.
>One member has claimed that his favorite part of the meetings is seeing me make odd faces at the random things that happen, then immediately begin typing.
>I often hear, Did you get that in the notes?
>One PLC member has said, Are we having a PLC meeting today?  Good, I can't wait to read your notes.
>Members have been known to be found laughing hysterically during their prep periods as they reread the minutes.  That's right, reread...days later.

So what if our Professional Learning Community is a little higher on the community side than the professional.  Hey, I'm all about creating a positive work environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment