Wednesday, November 3, 2010

...how do you know...

I use PowerPoints to teach vocabulary words.  They copy definitions, look at pictures, watch videos, etc. to help the students remember the words.

Yesterday I gave the students a new list.

One of the words is stupefy.

This is the slide for the word:


So I asked the students why the picture of the woman on the phone is an example for stupefy.

One student responds:  Well, it looks like she is reading a newspaper, probably the Chicago Tribune or something, and there must be pretty shocking news.

I follow up with, Right it was so surprising she had to call her mom and tell her all about it...

Interruption from another student in the room (quite loudly):  Wait, how do you know she is talking to her mom?!?!?

Silent look of disbelief...

Really man?  
I'm making it up.

Freshmen.  They are so easily amazed.

1 comment: