Thursday, November 18, 2010

...he just fell out...

So, back in college I had a class called Educational Psychology.  This class had both elementary and secondary ed. majors.  One day, for some unknown reason, we were talking about students falling out of their chairs.

It's mysterious.

How does this happen?  So, maybe with the little elementary students they are too small for the desks.  Possibly their feet don't reach the floor, so it causes them to lose their balance.

I'm not sure.

But regardless, it's funny.  I'm sure if a teacher of a 2nd grader witnesses this, they react with concern for the child's well-being.  Maybe this is why I teach at a high school...

Though this phenomenon is primarily a concern with the young children, it does occasionally happen with teenagers as well.  Now this truly is a mystery.

It's happened in my presence before.  Multiple times.  I always immediately go back to that Ed. Psych class and can't help but laugh.

Yesterday, one of my Facebook friends, and a former Ed. Psych. classmate posted about how a student fell out of his desk in her class.  So naturally I reminisced with her in my comment.

Well, today it happened.

Last hour.  Honors class.  We are discussing study strategies.  All of a sudden a student is on the floor.  It came out of no where.  No warning.  On the floor, trying to pull himself back into his desk.  Several students around him were breaking up with laughter.  I turned around for a second to hide my laughter.  Then I continued on with the notes.  Who knows what I said to my students.  My mind was flying between Ed. Psych., Facebook, and this baffling occurrence.

It was a time to laugh....How could I not?  A 15 year old boy fell out of his chair!
No, I didn't ask if he was okay....I couldn't do it.
Don't worry, he seemed fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment