Saturday, August 25, 2012

...the pre-test dance...

We are starting the year with pre-tests.
Long tests full of questions students don't know the answers to, confirming they indeed do not know it.
A quiet room for most of the day.  Bonus time for me to get things in order that I probably should have accomplished last week.

I had my music shuffling as all of my classes were testing.  My students quickly learn that I have a wide variety of music.

Just now, I hit play on iTunes to give an example of what they might encounter:
Since You've Been Gone, Kelly Clarkson;
Rainbow Connection, Kermit the Frog;
Sweet Home Alabama, Jewel;
Brandenburg, Black Violin [love this one];
Jesus Messiah, Chris Tomlin;
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Cyndi Lauper;
Azukar, Kumbia Kings; &
Chicago, Frank Sinatra.

There's really no theme.

In one class, the students were quietly testing.  I was working at my desk.  Then it came on:  Cha Cha Slide.

I simply said, Don't do it.  Stay in your desks.

Small smiles creeped onto their faces.  For the next 4 minutes & 10 seconds, quiet feet were moving in unison under 20+ desks in my room.


I could have just changed the song & everyone would have moved on and stayed focused.

But I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment