Thursday, August 30, 2012

...feeling old...

We were going over the handbook.

We talked about the automated message system for important school announcements like snow days and whatnot.  I made sure that students understood the importance of making sure the office is informed of any changes in contact information.

Me:  So if your phone is disconnected, or your parents get a new cell phone number, or if they decide to get rid of their land line, make sure you inform the office.

Student 1:  What's a land line?

I just kind of stopped & looked at her.  At first I wasn't sure if she was serious.  She was.

Me:  Yeah, the kind of phone that is connected to the wall.

Student 2:  You know, the kind that stays in the house.

Student 3:  Yeah, a home phone.

I picked my jaw up off the floor.  Seriously?  You don't know what a land line is?

Student 1 gave me a look like I thought she was an idiot or something.

Me:  No, this isn't about you.  You are just making me feel really old...

No comments:

Post a Comment